Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Herbert the Rat (Herbert speaks to the Doctor)


This is when the rate of my heartbeat begins to go haywire. I’m used to it; a friend of mine once told me I had a strong heart. I believed him until the day I was dumped by Rosetta.
She was really something. I can’t quite remember where everything went downhill. Most people tell me I fell too hard for her and hit my head rock bottom with what I assured myself was love. I know better now...but goddamn she was beautiful.
When the unit plays a slow, sad tune to soothe our aching ear drums I think of her. She had so much to offer for me. A perfect body, too. Nice and full of meat.
I’m thinking about her as I steadily work out on the wheel.
As the memories intensify so does the running, a typical part of the exercise.  Her gaze brought so much hunger to my starved mind as I am trapped in this institution.
The Doctor walks in.
“How is everything today, Herbert?”.
Shut your fucking mouth.
“Oh just dandy, sir.”
“Good to hear...very good to hear.”
“Just been wondering about my discharge date.”
“What about it?”
That motherfucker will never get me out of here.
“Well...uhm...sir, I’ve been here for about seven months and have had no contact with the outside world. Don’t you think it’d be about time? I never cause trouble or-“
“What’s wrong with your fellow mice, Herbert? Aren’t they your support group; your friends?”
“Doc...I’ve told you this. I’M A RAT!”
“Herbert. Don’t go there. We’ve had this conversation.
You are a mouse Nothing more.”
This is the torture I am faced with daily. I try and enjoy my small little world yet there’s nothing here for the pursuit of pleasure or even happiness. What a miserable fucking cage.
The Doctor exits. 
I know I wasn’t born a mouse.
Days like these make me feel like one.
So I retire from the wheel and sip my bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment