Friday, February 5, 2016

Her Masterpiece





I knew I was a failed painter
First upon taking LSD
As I noticed she was better than I
No matter how wretched in her craft

I remember seeing the fury
Portraits of blood toned eyes traced in black, glaring
The canvas mocking me while oozing bright matter
From the visceral bonds of her bitter hand

Here I behold what was once hidden
And though a natural painter,
She painted for no one
Her later work uninspired, undaunted

Then silver fractals lined the ceiling
The arms of faceless shadows reaching towards me
Marking their invisible territories
On the unsigned canvas, now fading 

I saw the errors of her details
In bleak maroon backgrounds
Overlapping outlines of poor dimensions
Best worthy to collect dust in galleries so worthless

Hail this vacant home of memorabilia
Though I still collected her art, building shrines
Art made in aimless pursuit
Only to gather warmth when the drug money was gone

She was a star lit prodigy
Once an object of desire
But as she grew weary, she would stay hungry
With no taste left in her gift to share

And so the art became a scam
A petty way to collect drug cash
Sucking dealers for oxycontin
Cocks stroked before brushes by my lover

I adored the Artist
The Artist who lived with me for free
All I asked was she paint
So she sketched me a pair of wolves

When she left me, for my dealer
The wolves were all I had left
And as I peaked, I could at last see
How those wolves were drawn in solace, to rid me

This was when I found a relic she’d made
A torn portrait of me
(Portraits were her specialty)
Forlorn in a mixed media of mania
Perhaps I was her masterpiece

I knew she had given up
Before throwing all but art away
Like one of her subjects
I saw she had burned the edges of the page
Leaving me to complete

Looking almost erased,
I knew I was the failed artist
As I outline the final layers
Here I stay a work in progress

Still to this day,
I let no woman paint me.  











No comments:

Post a Comment